Friday, November 14, 2008
What's on your mind? What's in your heart?
Now that Henni is able to verbalize her thoughts, I am constantly amazed at what she says. Then I wonder, "what goes through your head when you are not saying those amazing things?"
She has a very cool way of describing things. The other day, I put a new pair of brown pants on her that has some silver threads mixed in. As soon as she sees the pants, she says, "Oh! fireworks pants!"
She loves to categorize things. As soon as she learns new names she will put them in a mental category, and declares them to make certain of her choice. "What is this, mommy?" "It is a toucan." "Hmm, this is a toucan bird." "What is this?" "It is a cobra." "I see. A cobra snake." "And what is this?" "It is a cupcake." "Ah, a cupcake cookie." Some of her categories are still kind of organic.
Her thoughtfulness comes through her speech all the time. I was holding both Henni and Junjun on my lap the other day, watching Elmo's World, their recent favorite thing to watch on TV. Then Junjun started pulling on Henni's hair, so I pretended to be scolding Junjun, just to appease Henni. "Junjun, you should not be pulling your sister's hair." Then Henni says to me with the most benevolent look on her face, "Oh, mom, that's okay. I will just sit over there." And moves to the next chair over. What a sweetheart! (And WHEN did she stop calling me umma or mommy? Where did she get "mom"? Does she think she is eleven years old???). One last example: we made some chocolate cookies last night before I went out to get a sewing lesson from a neighbor. While Henni and Scott were eating their share of warm cookies, I was just standing around to kill time before I had to leave. Then Henni turns to me, "Sit down, mom. Have a cookie!" I am excited to see all the things she can say. What comes out of one's mouth is what is in one's heart, right? I am even more thrilled to get climpses of what is in her heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment