Sunday, December 21, 2008

Forming Identity



Henni has a bad Anglo accent when she speaks in Korean. This song cracks me up, because, with Henni's bad accent, it sounds like it should be sung by a little girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, but alas, it is our girl, who was made and born in Japan and raised in a US military base in Seoul. Why does her Korean sound so bad? Scott and I certainly don't sound like that when we speak Korean... I need to speak to her in Korean more consistently, but I keep failing to do so. I just enrolled her in some mommy-and-me classes run by a Korean culture center in the neighborhood, but she only speaks to me in English there too, making all the Korean moms in the class turn their heads (and sometimes roll their eyes).

Henni started doing another interesting thing this week. When someone who looks Asian asks her what her name is, she says "Henni," and when a Caucasian person asks for her name, she replies "Annelise"!!! What does she know about her two names, and more importantly, what does she know about race?!?! I thought kids were supposed to be color-blind when it comes to people's skin color until they were much older...

No comments: